This award recognizes the individuals and organizations who have used “social innovation strategies” to help people of all abilities be more included in the Burnaby community. It also recognizes that when communities are more accessible and inclusive, everyone’s life is made better.
Accepting applications now
If you know of a person, business or organization who you think should be recognized, please see the Award Application Form for more information, or contact email@example.com or 604.299.7851.
Examples of inclusion through innovation:
- Improving access to employment and business opportunities (includes recognizing businesses who are Disability Confident*);
- Improving access to educational opportunities;
- Enhancing opportunities for greater social and recreational participation in the community;
- Increasing the availability of accessible and affordable housing;
- Increasing opportunities for people to prosper – in material or non-material ways – and move beyond the status quo;
- Partnerships or collaborative efforts that include or benefit people of all abilities;
- Using technology or other assistive devices to advance inclusion;
- Creating accessible built environments – indoor or outdoor;
- Enhancing accessible transportation;
- Improving health and wellness of people of all abilities;
- Raising awareness on issues relating to diverse abilities.
*Disability Confident organizations understand how disability affects all aspects of their business. They create a “culture of inclusion” and make adjustments which enable all individuals to contribute as employees, customers and partners.
Selection guidelines and nomination forms for this award will be available soon, with the deadline for nominations in mid-October and the Awards given in mid-November.