One of BACI’s key goals as an organization is to promote the social and economic inclusion of people with disabilities.
That means helping the people we support find ways to participate fully in their community — making friends, going places, and doing things that they like.
BACI offers Community Inclusion services that support adults in small groups and on a one-to-one basis, to access and participate in a range of events and activities within their local communities. The activities take advantage of each person’s strengths and abilities, focusing on recreation, personal growth and development, relationship building and volunteer activities through individualized programs. Supports are typically provided Monday through Friday during the daytime, however we strive to be flexible to meet the needs of participants.
We have partnerships with the City of Burnaby and offer a number of adapted recreational activities throughout the day at local community centres. In addition, we inquire into a person’s desire to work. If they are interested, we assist in exploring pre-employment skills through volunteering and other work-related activities.
Person Referenced Outcomes:
- People have a strong sense of independence and autonomy
- People are learning and trying new things
- People are building and maintaining social relationships.
- People have a strong sense of self-esteem.
- People feel connected and have a strong sense of belonging in the community
- People are invested in their physical and emotional health, fitness and safety.
All participants must be referred through CLBC. Service levels are determined through the CLBC referral process.
For more information, please contact Kama Guezalova or call 604-299-7851.
BACI’s Employment Services & Training (BEST)
BEST is a service developed by BACI to empower individuals to find jobs and make meaningful contributions to the communities in which they live. We assist individuals of varying abilities to find and maintain employment that matches their skills and interests.
We collaborate with employers to help them diversify to the greatest extent possible, to ensure that both employer and employee are satisfied. Our effective personalized service focuses on meeting employers’ business needs through positive and innovative employment solutions.
For more information, please contact Heather Johnstone or call 604-299-5100.
We Offer FREE Employment Service and Training
- Pre-Recruitment: We are committed to learning about your business and the skills and abilities needed to fill the open positions.
- Quality Job Matching: We provide pre-screened individuals who have the skills to meet your business needs.
- On-site Coaching: We offer 1:1 support to the new employee – at no cost to you. We will assist the development of the employee/employer relationship to maintain successful employment.
Life Sharing means living with and sharing all of life’s experiences together and forming a supportive and caring relationship.
It’s a three-way relationship between the Life Sharing provider, the person with disabilities/their family and BACI. Each of the members has a role to play in the relationship, and each member comes to the relationship with a set of hopes, dreams, and expectations.
While every Life Sharing relationship is unique, there are some hopes and expectations that are common, such as the hope of a good life lived with purpose and the expectation to be treated and supported with respect.
BACI operates 15 staffed homes, which provide support to two to five individuals per home.
Individuals receive support in our residential homes, where one finds comfort, refuge and renewal. It is a place of belonging. It is also an extension of the one who lives there, a place where one’s personal tastes and preferences are visible.
Creating homes for adults with disabilities can sometimes be challenging because of the diverse interests, influences and demands that bear upon such efforts. Nevertheless, within our capacity to do so, we are committed to providing the means for making a genuine “home” to those who receive our residential services.
BACI’s Family Support Services provides opportunities for families who have a family member with a disability to:
- Join other families in social and recreational activities
- Attend information and support workshops so they may better support their loved one with a disability
- Attend meetings where they can share the joys and challenges of sharing their lives with a family member with a disability
Options are available for fully subsidized, accessible and integrated housing at Filby Court, Stride Place, Orchard Heights, Rosser and Madison.
For more information on Stride Place, see the Stride Place Tenant Handbook here.
For information on BACI’s other subsidized housing, please contact:
7575 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC V3N 3C3
- Offers support for people who live on their own or with their family or friends in the community. We serve between 80 – 100 people with developmental disabilities and high functioning people with autism, Asperger’s Syndrome or FASD.
- Our goal is to help people learn skills to do things on their own, lead more meaningful lives, and take a more active role in their community.
- For more information, contact Eric Hofer or call 604-299-7851.
Burnaby Association of Self Advocates (BASA)
- Meets to talk about issues, share information, or offer peer support.
- For more information, contact Gerry Juzenas or call 604-299-7851.
BACI has been providing accessible child care for over 20 years. For children aged 5 years and younger, we have 2 centres which offer full-time child care — Fair Haven and Variety Cariboo.
Child Care Centre Fees:
BACI is excited to confirm that our Fairhaven Child Care Centre has been chosen as one of the province’s Universal Child Care Prototype Sites until March 2022. Families pay no more than $200 a month per child for full-time enrolment during regular business hours, regardless of the care type. For some low-income families, child care could be free.
Our Variety Cariboo Child Care Centre has been approved to receive the Child Care Fee Reduction from BC’s Ministry of Child and Family Development.
Full-time rates for Variety Cariboo Child Care Centre are now $1,420 per month for Under 3’s. The 4 day rates are $1,285; the 3 day rates are $985; the 2 day rates are $665.
Full-time rates for Variety are $940 per month for Over 3’s. The 4 day rates are $850; the 3 day rates are $650; the 2 day rates are $450.
Also see our Child Care brochure.
Out-of-School Care Centre Fees:
Full-time fees are $550 per month (with Pro-D Days).
Please note that this increase covers an additional week of Spring Break.
The 4 day rate is $510; the 3 day rate is $390; the 2 day rate is $275.The full-time Summer rate at the Out of School Care Centres is $780 per month. The 4 day rate is $710; the 3 day rate is $540; the 2 day rate is $380.
Teen Program – Quick Facts:
- The program operates throughout the year.
- Enrolment is on a first come, first served basis.
- Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from the program’s starting point.
For more information, please contact Jen Ghioda at 604-292-1290.
Summer Teen Program:
The Summer Teen Program offers cool, full-day adventures for youth with disabilities.
The program is funded by the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD), and is offered to teens aged 13 to 18 who live in Burnaby and New Westminster. Please note: all participants for this program must qualify through MCFD.
- This program operates 5 days per week during the summer months.
- It relies on public transit for the majority of activities. (Teens must have GoCards or bus passes.)
- Teens requiring 1:1 support must provide their own worker. (There is typically a ratio of 1 staff to 4 youth.)
- Registration is for full weeks only.
- Program fees are $75 per week.
- Spaces are limited to 15 teens per day.
- Attendance is limited to 2-4 weeks per child, depending on program enrolment.
- Applications are not final until confirmation is received from BACI.
Each week of activities focuses on a special theme. Themes in past years have included: Zootopia, Nature Explorers, Mad Science, All-Star Sports, Arts & Culture, Adventure Time and Under the Sea.